Saturday, November 04, 2006

Saturday Sky





A cool blue day today until late in the afternoon when clouds rolled in. I love seeing all the fall colors and wish that the wind would allow the leaves to stay on the trees for a long time. But in Oklahoma no wind is almost an oxymoron. Of course, the leaves on the ground make the most delightful noises as you walk through them, so I should thank the wind for that. This afternoon, as I went about my errands, I saw a young man raking up great piles of leaves in his front yard. And, wait..what's that? Well it's a little boy covered in leaves with only his happy, giggling face sticking out! What a happy thing to see!

I can remember, when I was young, making great piles of leaves in the yard and they became all sorts of mysterious places. Fairy houses, Indian teepees...who knows what all. My favorite was made a bit more sturdy with the help of some old boards and a cardboard box with the leaves heaped around it. It rained and the leaves became quite sodden. The boards helped keep the box dry so it still remained open to me. And the leaves were almost plastered. Some of the top ones dried out fairly quickly so they looked more like leaves. Quite camo...although I'd never heard of the word. And inside the box, I thought I must be visible only to truly magical things and birds and mice. It was a good time.

10 comments:

Ann said...

what a fun post...I remember those days of running and jumping in a pile of leaves..ahhh the little things...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ann, what a fun post. The best time of year for me is in autumn, late in the day when the sun starts to sets and walking through dried leaves. I also enjoy when it rains and the leaves on the ground glisten in their wetness. OH I love your leaf box, how fun.

Susan said...

Ann, I find that some days it's those little things that keep me going. Only problem is that sometimes I get busy and forget to watch for them.

Cat, oh yeah...when it rains on those leaves it makes such a different sound too.

Laura said...

What a lovely post!

I'm sure my neighbors will hate me, but I don't want to rake up our leaves. I love the colorful blanket they make. If it wasn't so pretty, they'd be mowed into mulch by now. :P

Susan said...

Laura..good morning! Well, I think they should stay on the ground for as long as possible. Season's change and that's part of the costume *G* I'm on your side.

Ragan said...

Lovely sky shot!

~France said...

Of course, I looked for the little boys face in that big pile!! HA! I couldn't find him! Then I figured it's just the leaves, and I love it! You have a way of finding things to make you smile, and you share!! heh heh :o)

Sara said...

Everyone in the neighborhood is out today raking their leaves except us. I love the sound of walking through them and of the dogs running through them. I try to let them stay on the ground as long as I can...Hell, that's the reason we have different seasons!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, it's been a long time since I've raked leaves or jumped into a pile of leaves.

How magical your little fort was. I used to make forts, houses, and teepees, too, but I never had one as creative as your leaf house. Truly, only magical creatures could have seen you!

*hugs*

Susan said...

Sprite, I think my very literal and reserved mother, at times, thought I was a changeling. *G*