Friday, May 11, 2007

Actual Knitting Content

I was afraid I might be charged with impersonating a knitter. It's been a long time since I've posted any. Much has been started and frogged and thought about and put in time out. It's all about the process, right?

First up...Cookie Socks. Because Cookie got the yarn for me. It's Sockotta and my first venture into self patterning as well as cotton yarn. Short socks for summer. So it's basically enough ribbing to hold them up and a lot of stockinette. For some reason, I seem to knit looser with this yarn. It fits, but the fabric is looser if that makes any sense. It's really weird to see a pattern forming. I'm thinking this must involve lots of math on the part of the dyers...well the computers that tell the dye when to happen. And lots of fun to watch. It will be interesting to see if the second one even halfway matches the first.And next up is a swatch. The British magazine Simply Knitting has a page in each issue with a pattern swatch. This one is called Giant Garter Stitch. The swatch is bigger in real life but just how much Giant Garter Stitch would y'all want to see. The yarn it's knit with is simply magnificent. Rowan 4 ply Soft. 100% merino and soft as a baby. I'd never be able to afford enough to knit something big, but I can enjoy it in these swatches. This poor swatch is a very simple pattern.
Row 1 (RS) Knit
Row 2 *K1, sl 1, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, k2 (slip all purlwise)
Row 3 Knit
Row 4 K2, *sl 1,K1, repeat from * to end.
Could it be much simpler? This was my project back during the cardiac weeks. You would not believe how many times I screwed it up. And yet the yarn held together and remained soft and bouncy. Yay Rowan.
Today's been a zoomy day full of errands. I had the day off because I've almost got too many vacation hours again. So besides laundry and vacuuming and such, there's been a trip to the library, the safe deposit box (to put up papers that were supposed to go back in January), the Dollar Store (yay, I have a new fan!), the grocery, the doggie groomers, and the gas station. Whew. Only place I missed was the post office. Every time I went by all the spaces were filled with folks mailing stuff before the rates go up I guess. Finally there were parking places, but alas it was closed.

So tomorrow all I have to do is drive off to the fiber festival. Yay! I'm looking forward to seeing lots of fun stuff and fun people. And according to the weatherman...no rain!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY! Good weather predicted! Hope you have more fun than you know what to do with!! heh heh

Devorah said...

Fiber festival? Yea! Knitting? Yea! Have a wonderful day. HUGS!

Susan said...

Thanks Paris! I am really excited..an outing..for ME! Yay team!

Devorah, I'm surely planning on a wonderful day. So, it will be one. /nods

Unknown said...

OK, OK ... how much fun did ya have and whatcha gonna share about it?!?! Can't wait, even tho I know next t'nuthin' 'bout what you might s'plain! LOL

Anonymous said...

I just love the pattern of those socks.
Hugs!!!

Susan said...

Paris, you're so silly! It will have to wait a bit...I need my oatmeal and my bath first.

Cat, me too! Isn't it amazing??