Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Amazing! Exhausting!

That's about all I can say about the weekend. I had such a wonderful time but I was so trashed by the time I got home. I guess I'm not used to such fun...or perhaps riding in the vehicle for a long time.

The trip down was uneventful and mostly dreary. Rain, rain and more rain. At least there were only a few slick places close to home. I was able to knit on my sock but mostly by feel. It was so dark outside. We did stop for lunch on the way and it was actually a treat to see a bright Dairy Queen. Good chicken strips too!

We got there maybe an hour before the reception was to start, but much of that was actually finding the place. I changed clothes in the vehicle. which The Girl thought hysterical. Especially when pulling off my jeans (after putting on my skirt/slip) I almost lost my underwear!

The reception was held in a community center where there is an active art program. Geez, I wish I could live there. Many pieces were on exhibit and they were just wonderful. One that fascinated me was a great big quilted heart block. The background was stipple quilted but what was amazing was that the heart was done log cabin style and the little strips were 1/4" wide! Lots and lots of them. I can't imagine being that exact. No matter how hard I tried I don't think I could pull it off.

The bride/groom were ever so happy but the most fun for me was seeing folks I haven't seen in probably 20 years. It's such fun when two families come together unexpectedly.

And then, finally we went to our rooms for a brief break. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Burleson. I've never ever stayed in such a fancy place. Downstairs there is an exercise room with weights, treadmills and steppers and such. And a swimming pool and a whirlpool My room was a single..big king sized bed, but since it didn't hold two beds, I also had a sitting room! (If in the picture menu at the web site you can see it..it's the top left pic) Lovely little loveseat (which I discovered could be made into a bed), great big tv with digital cable...all those channels! It also had a kitchen area with a microwave, a refrigerator, a coffee pot (with coffee) and in the cabinets there were even disposable plates, bowls and utensils! I had an iron and ironing board and a hair dryer and in the lobby on each floor there was a washer and dryer. Amazing! Each day there is a free breakfast downstairs..not just donuts and fruit. On Sunday it was omelets as well as cereals, pastries, muffins, breads, bagels and a toaster too! At the time, I asked that someone go get me a burger and I'd just stay in my marvelous room all evening :-). I hate to think what it cost. Goodness knows that if I'd been paying, it would have been a Motel 6. Isn't it fun that they even monogram the pillow cases???

Staying in wasn't an option so we changed clothes and rested a wee bit and then headed back out for more fun. Off to visit "the kids" who are all grown up. At Eric's a dream came true. I've heard loads about his dog Joe but had never met him.
Here he is meeting one of our group at the fence. Notice he is sitting down.

I had a chance to get up close and personal with him. He is such the sweetie! He has a smaller dog buddy Pippy, but she's definitely camera shy so no pics of her :-(

Eric is some sort of computer/business person but he's also an amazing woodworker and I was quite happy to go visit his shop adjacent to the house. I've never seen so many saws/routers/drills/joiners in one place. Fun! When we came back outside this greeted us.

I'm not sure why I got all tippy taking the pic. It was just huge and seemed to go on forever. I couldn't find a way to get the whole thing in my viewfinder.

Finally we all arrived in the same place and headed out for dinner. A party of 12. And had a great meal served family style. Yummy green beans. I would love to know how to make them.

I was surely glad to see my bed that night. I wanted to knit for awhile and enjoy the tv. I think I lasted maybe 30 min and went to sleep with my dpns in my hand apparently. Only woke up once when one of them poked my cheek.

Sunday morning came way too soon. Sunny and bright at least while we were in Texas. I opened my drapes and window to enjoy some fresh air and discovered a Sunday paper outside my door. Just like being at home. Almost. And about 5 pm Sunday evening that became a reality. A fun time, but always good to be home even if I do just have to 'know' which of my pillows is soft.


Sara said...

So happy that you had such a wonderful time! Liked your hotel room...was that an extended stay hotel? I didn't notice when I clicked on the link.

That dog is HUGE! Close relation to a Horse maybe???

Glad you are home safe and sound!!!

Devorah said...

Sounds like a truly wonderful time!

Susan said...

Sara, he's a mastiff. I need to read up on them and find out if they are naturally such sweeties. I don't know about the extended stay deal. It seems though it would be really good for a business person that was going to be in the area for more than a couple days. I'd sure like to stay there again.

Devorah, it was! All the laughter made being soggy worth while. And I really felt like I was rich or something while in my room :-)