Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hurry Up Weekend!

What a week this has been. A person in my circle died Monday evening. I wasn't extremely close to him but he was extremely close and related to good friends. A young man so doubly difficult. So it's been a week of getting food, plants and paper products arranged/delivered. I don't know how it is in other places, but here death and funerals are about FOOD and lots of it. The grieving friends and family become sort of a reunion. Lots of stories and tears and laughter.

And, in the midst of it, The Boy turned 18. I was pleased that everything sort of went on hold so that he could have a really good birthday in spite of everything else. And that involved food too. Really good unhealthy chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with white or brown gravy, green beans with bacon, homemade ice cream and of course, birthday cake!

And if that wasn't enough food, a rep brought lunch to work...bbq brisket, baked beans etc. My diet has not been the greatest but it all really tastes good.

The funeral is tomorrow, and besides going to work and a funeral, I need to get a ton more food over there for the family. Lots of people contributing...I'm NOT a cook. I primarily transport stuff and provide paper stuff. Paper plates, napkins, toilet paper...hey there are a lot of extra folks at my friend's home!

But it hasn't been totally fiber free. I did dye some yarn some night (I can't even remember when, but long enough ago that it's dry. I call it watermelon yarn. Base is Paton's Classic Wool that was napping in my stash. It's a gift for my friend Kerri who says she likes bright colors. It's not quite this garish in natural light, but by the time I got home this evening it was dark outside. It reminds me of watermelon.



I hope she likes it. On Saturday bright and early I'm tagging along with her and the hubby and heading to the northeastern part of the state for a Fiber Christmas in July affair. I've never been before, nor has she, so there will be two of us gawking at all the fiber and wheels and animals. She wants to learn to knit (she's a crocheter now) and hopefully I can teach her at least a long tail cast on, and knit and purl. Hopefully she won't need help counting. I'm going to give her my stitch and bitch book for some backup.

I am soooooooooo excited about this adventure. Fiber and friends. What fun. And just two more sleeps until it all comes about!

3 comments:

KatyaR said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's so much harder when they're so young.

Enjoy Fiber Christmas in July--I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

BumbleVee said...

wow......what a hectic week. Sorry about your friend...

Oh, I hope the fiber fest is a ton of fun for you guys.... one day I really should learn to knit or spin..but for now I am having fun just stabbing wool and making the little guys.... lol....

Devorah said...

ooh, rough week. Sorry!

Hope the fiber fest is all you want it to be and more!