Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fiber Fun

Edited to add: I wrote this yesterday evening and then just crashed before I thought to push PUBLISH

Friday afternoon and evening and all day yesterday was spent in the company of other fiber lovers. Spinners. Knitters. Crocheters. Weavers. Rug Hookers. Basket Weavers. And a mixture of all the above. What fun!



And I have a new spindle via eMail sort of. One of the dealers wasn't going to be there so she sent it on approval. It's an Ashford and I love it. And, I can spin! Rather thick yarn but most of the time it's at least sort of the same diameter. And that's thanks to someone named Megan Lacore who posted a video of the park and draft method on You Tube.





I took fiber that I already had, but also came home with several ounces of various types of wool. There was a talk on these various breeds but much of it got lost in my brain so I'm going to look each one of them up on the internet and print out the info so when I'm using it, I can know more about what I have in my hands.



I also got to use hand cards..I love doing that! And finally got to see someone use a diz. How cool is that thing? Amazing that the fiber just sitting there in those combs would turn itself into some roving after going through the diz. I watched one friend just spin away without even having roving. Just spinning from the little wads of fiber. I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon! And I learned how to do locker hooking using roving. Wow what a rug you could make!

And there was lots of eating and talking and talking and laughing and eating and talking. I'm exhausted! I think being sociable is just exhausting.

1 comment:

Devorah said...

Uh oh! Sounds like you are totally hooked now! (no pun intended)