Saturday, November 08, 2008

Yum!

Lots of scrubbing and laundry and sweeping and mopping happened here today. And, I put that fuse back in the car and now the lights work properly. A strange noise that has kept me company on the way to work and back is still there. I thought it was the antenna trying to go up, but apparently that's not it. Oh well, so far it's just annoying and everything major is working. I'll have to try and see my mechanic sometime this week.

But the highlight of the day was this..



It's been forever since I've made bread. I had a bread machine for a long time and initially I used it a lot. But when the new wore off it just gathered dust so I traded it for a dust buster and something else that I can't remember now. I really prefer doing it by hand but I wasn't sure I remembered how. Well, I can read a recipe, but the part I was concerned about was just knowing when the dough felt right. It was soooooooo good to knead that dough. And you know what was even better?

Having a warm bread/butter/honey supper. A cold glass of milk just made it perfect.

5 comments:

Sara said...

No matter how hard I begged - I know that a loaf of that bread would not make it to my house. We just live to damn far away!!!!

It looks really good.

You made bread today - and I was sitting here thinking that I needed to go on the King Arthur flour company's website to see when the next bread making class was going to be held...

Hey, I'm baking apple slices tomorrow...

BTW, my baby girl was admitted to the hospital today - she had an asthma attack and could not recover from it -by using her breathing machine...she tried 3 times and then called 911. They gave her a stonger breathing treatment and took her to the ER. They admitted her...she has a horrible cold which could be one of the reasons she couldn't bring herself out of the attack. They are checking for pneumonia and giving her a lot of breathing treatments tonight. I talked to her nurse.

BumbleVee said...

Oh yeh....real bread! It looks great. I can almost smell it.... almost.....

I just began baking my own by hand from scratch ...tossed the bread maker just like you did. I think it was in February if I remember right. I love it. I have a recipe for one called Tuscan Peasant Bread on my blogs right now if you want to try it... I've been playing with adding fruits and other things to it.... oh, it is yummy!

KatyaR said...

There's nothing like homemade bread. I haven't bought a loaf of bread in a year--I'm totally hooked on making it myself. I can control how much I make, and it's just not that hard. I've been using the bread machine to do the dough, then I take it out and put it in whatever pans I'm using, let it rise again, and then bake. It's so addictive . . . .

One problem--Maggie's now addicted as well. Once she smells that bread baking, I can't get her out of the kitchen, and when it's set out to cool--watch out, she's just looking for a snack. And of course I share, I'm a good mommy!

Devorah said...

Mmmm! Mike's been baking the bread for the kids' sandwiches the last few weeks. I envy you your dinner.

jessie said...

Tell me your secret! I am baking all my own bread now and I can't get a good loaf of white bread. How many cups of flour do you use for two loaves? And how do you get it to rise higher than the pan?

I am not new to bread making, I've been doing it forever. But white bread in loaf pans is killing me. (Part of this is my oven; I finally got a beautifully risen batch ready to bake last week and the thermostat problem caused the oven to bake at 250. The bread fell during the 18 hour baking time.)

Please, please, send my your recipe, your advice, or your psychic vibes. My husband would do anything for sandwich bread tall enough to use for sandwiches.