Friday, April 27, 2007

Finally..it's Friday!

If I could have made myself any crazier this week, I'd be totally living under a rock. But the weekend is coming and that makes it all better.

In between freaking myself out (I didn't realize how good at that I am), I've been a good silkworm mommie. Hungry little buggers. We had toad strangling rains today so there I was after work, not only plucking the leaves off the mulberry...but also shaking the rain off them. Don't want the worms to drown!

Here's what their home looked like this morning as I left for work. Lots of fresh lovely leafy produce.

And here's what it looked like when I got home. Totally annihilated leaves and ever growing silkworms. They aren't particularly attractive. I think they sort of look like s*men. ewww! But I don't let them know I find them sorta icky. Don't want to hurt their feelings. That bright spot is a dime for scale. The sun was peeking in through the blinds and sort of obliterated the details.

7 comments:

Cookie said...

You are just too cute.

Look at 'em go!

Unknown said...

Excellent! I remember the Children's Center doing that a few years in a row, and they surely DO eat!!

Anonymous said...

You are such a good silkworm Mommy, not wanting to hurt their feelings and all.
TTYL
Hugs!!!!

Devorah said...

Good job not drowning them. How do you get them off the old leaves when you put the new ones in?

Susan said...

Cookie, when I'm putting the new leaves down, they raise up their little heads and get ready to zoom in for the kill LOL

Francee, I read that the more they eat the faster they grow. Well, duh that makes sense. But what I'm getting at is that if I were at home so I could feed them more often they'd be even bigger.

Cat! You're home!!! Oh I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

Devorah, they are still too little to pick up without squishing, so I very carefully pick up individual old leaves that have a baby attached and put them in the clean side and then put the fresh leaves on top and wash out the first container. Right now, I don't do it every time, but as they get bigger it will be routine as they leave more debris.

Sheri said...

Those little things really do a number on the leaves huh? How neat is that?
Not much knitting going on over here at Scrappy Knitter, too many other things to do.
Sheri in GA

Susan said...

Sheri, yeah, they're going to eat me out of house and mulberries. Hope the 'other things' are loads of fun!